26 Jan |
Posted by admin |
no comments |
behavior, Clear Lake, dog, dog behavior, dog training, holiday reservations, Houston, Nasa, Palace Tip Tuesday, palaceTipTuesday, Potty Training, Puppy, Puppy Play, Puppy Socialization, puppy training, Texas, The Pet Palace, Training, Tx
One of the most daunting parts of training your puppy is house training. Here are some basic steps and hints to follow when housetraining your dog:
· Pick one spot in your yard to take your dog to for him to do his business. Choose a smaller rather than larger area. Make sure that this spot isn’t near his play area. Take your dog to this spot on lead to potty. When the dog is finished, praise him. You can also use a treat to reward him.
· Feed your dog in the spot where he has pottied in the house. A dog typically will not eliminate where he eats.
· Play games with your dog where he has pottied in the house. A dog typically will not eliminate in his play area.
· Take your dog out to potty 15-20 minutes after eating, drinking, waking up, and playing.
· If you have difficulties housetraining an adult dog, keep a daily log of the accidents that happen in the house and adjust your schedule to that.
· You may succeed in housetraining your puppy and find that there are breakdowns, as the puppy gets older. These may happen at six months, nine months, and one year as the major growth spurts occur.